Monday 4 January 2010

So, the first post.

Well, if you're reading this, you're probably wondering what Southside Productions is, so I'll explain!
My name is Tim Lake, and around 4 years ago, I bought my first MBUK (that's pretty much the way we all got interested in mountain bikes!). Ever since, I've been hooked on the most expensive hobby in the world, or so it seems. In the past year or two I've been really interested in the photo and video side of the sport, I watch hundreds of video's all across the web and look at thousands of photos. So I decided to get involved myself. About 4 years ago my dad bought my a camcorder so I could video my mates and I going off 1 foot drops we found in the industrial estate near my house, and since then I've been taking photos and filming various trips and rides.
About 4 months ago I started a new course at Exeter College doing a BTEC in Media, which got me wondering how I could mix the two together. I've always been inspired by the top guys such as Clay Porter, Sven Martin, The Parkin's, Alex Rankin, and more recently, Mono, and Jacob Gibbins. Those final two inspired me more than any of the others because just like me they live in the West Country. After I saw Foot Out Flat Out I really wanted to try and do the same thing myself. So I set about planning a full length film, documenting a season of Downhill in Britain, following the riders that live around me, from the West Country. Now you might think, "well what pro's have the West Country produced?" The answer is.. not many. Alex Evans is a well known name in the South West and he's probably our biggest claim to fame, racing a few world cups over the years. I hear you ask "So if there isn't many pro's then why bother following the riders?". The South West has some of the best Young riders in the country, we've got Adam Price who, after a summer in Whistler won the Canadian Open and finished 3rd in the Garbanzo, then there's Olly Hooper, who finished 3rd in Senior last year in the NPS, then, there's Derek Pinkett, who needs really no introduction. We've got all the lads from Tavi, Jay Williamson and his crew from East Devon, Don and the gang from Kustom Bikes in Somerset, then a few other big names dotted around.


So, this year, I'm going to produce a web video, free to watch, following these guys around their season. In the mean time, keep an eye on this blog for loads of other ramblings I'll be getting up to during the year.

Tim.

No comments:

Post a Comment